z

Young Writers Society



Mercy

by Caligula's Launderette


My eternal homage to all who were in the chatroom last night, apparently talking (with y'all) got my creative fiction juices flowing. All comments, suggestions, crits welcome. (Rated for language I guess.) CL.

Mercy

The rain prickled on the back of his hands and he plucked the soggy, self-rolled cigarette from his lips, and mashed it into the grass at his feet. The downpour had slicked the wisps of his dark hair to the back of his neck, right up against the collar of his pressed, white work-shirt. It made him itch with the need to be dry in all the places he could not reach.

“You gonna throw that out?”

He scowled, and lifted his gaze to the intruder.

“Litter-bug.” But she made no move to pick it up herself.

He squashed the childish urge to stick out his tongue; it seemed she was the only one who could produce that sort of response from him; and certainly the only one who could get him to come out to a deserted park in the middle of a rainstorm. He wanted to hate her for it, but he couldn’t muster the energy.

Crossing his arms over his chest, he scowled and watched her as she moved slightly back and forth. Her slim hips, child hips, swaying. Her eyes were closed, chin slightly tilted down, and her palms faced upwards towards the bleak sky. It took him a moment to realize her lips were moving, as they were mostly concealed by her thick curtain of auburn hair, darkened cherry red by the rain.

As if she could feel the weight of his scrutiny, she fixed her now open wedgwood blue eyes on him. The edge of her small lips quirked, and she bestowed him with a mischievous glance.

“You watchin’ me?” Her eyes narrowed then.

When he didn’t answer, she raised an eyebrow, “You randy little voyeur you.”

He turned away from the heat of her gaze, and spoke- his voice raspy as if unfamiliar with speech, “We need to be going, the rain is bound to—“

She cut him off shortly, “Spoil-sport,” and opened her arms, “Dance with me.”

Long ago he had learned to pick the battles he could win; this was not one of them. He looked back to her, sopping wet, with water droplets dripping off her nose; her freckled arms stretched invitingly towards him. How could he refuse?

Slowly he stepped towards her, the squashed cigarette forgotten; even the rain an after-thought. She smiled triumphantly, sliding her hands under his coat, to fit under the hem of his shirt, nesting in the small of his back. Her hands were surprisingly warm against his skin. He sighed into the embrace, her head against his chest, and his fingers in her wet strands of hair.

“We really should go,” he murmured not knowing if she even heard him.

Silence.

The rain had started to ease, but there was still this itch to be dry. He cast a glance at his car at the edge of the park, but then chastised himself for being selfish, and turned back to the feel of her body pressed against his, and the way she fit snugly into his embrace. He rested his chin on the top of her head.

“Do you hear that?” Her voice was soft, and low barely audible, but it rumbled against his chest.

“Hear what?” he mused.

“That… music.” She hummed a few notes.

It was unfamiliar to his ear. “Sorry, no.”

“That’s odd.” She hummed a few more.

His browse creased in thought, and as if oblivious to his confusion she continued on humming, and then at last through her parted lips, “..l’amour est une oiseau rebelle.”

French, he thought, the music’s French. Before he could ask her about it, she pressed her lips against the juncture of his neck and shoulder, and whispered, “Love is a gypsy boy, 'tis true, he ever was and ever will be free; love you not me, then I love you.”

In mid-sway, she stopped.

Her voice was notably strained, and anxious, “You know I love you, right?”

He could only answer, “Yes I know,” and wish he could ask of her the same. Si je t'aime, prends garde à toi. Yet, if I love you, beware of me.

Mercy's eyes are blue

When she places them in front of you.

Nothing really holds a candle to

The solemn warmth you feel inside.

Notes:

The song she is singing, and the line at the end is from Bizet's Carmen.

The four last lines are from the final verse of Saint Simon by The Shins.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:14 pm
~luv2write~ says...



what exactly is the meaning of the title? is it one of the characters' names? other than those little confusions, it was really really good and cute.




User avatar
171 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 171

Donate

User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:49 pm
Pash wrote a review...



A really beautiful piece. You've captured the moment like an oil painting, the way the words flow and drift into one another. :) It's very pretty, and the song at the end melds with the piece very dramatically, though it kind of pops in there without any further forshadowing, which might take some readers by surprise.

Either way, a good piece. Well done!




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 43

Donate
Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:08 am
Supermal says...



This is really romantic and sweet. You wrote it really beautifully.
My friend and I both agree that it would make a really good ending to a story.




User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 990
Reviews: 122

Donate
Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:37 pm
Karma says...



writingluver5 wrote:it is prolly one of my fav romantic pieces I've ever read. Nicely done CL, nicely done.


I agree




User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 24

Donate
Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:25 am
MRMarathon says...



whoever says this isn't interesting ,ust be ridiculous or something.

i thought it was very intriguing from the start and it enticed me the whole way through.

a simple romantical piece with the not so obvious characters but a kind situation.




User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 1586
Reviews: 402

Donate
Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:33 am
Wiggy says...



I saw this on TSR-and it is prolly one of my fav romantic pieces I've ever read. Nicely done CL, nicely done.




User avatar
161 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 161

Donate
Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:56 pm
Cassandra says...



Huh. Didn't see the date that you posted this. Just saw that it had new replies and assumed it was new.

Eh. The grammar crusade was fun, though. XD




User avatar
531 Reviews


Points: 8846
Reviews: 531

Donate
Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:45 pm



Hmm... I think this was my first draft. I posted another on TSR, hmm... yeah. Your grammer crusade was almost for naught, Cass.
:shock:

About the story needing drive; it's a short with untitled characters, basically what Cass said about windows. :D

About interesting, well there are two more shorts with the same characters. That I'll post sometime in the future.

Thanks all for your thoughts.




User avatar
161 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 161

Donate
Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:22 pm
Cassandra wrote a review...



Caligula's Launderette wrote:The rain prickled on the back of his hands and he plucked the soggy, self-rolled cigarette from his lips, and mashed it into the grass at his feet.


I would take out the "on" in the beginning, so that it reads, The rain prickled the back of his hands. It's no big deal, just one of those unnecessary words that you can cut.
I would also suggest changing the "and" to "as". So so far we have: The rain prickled the back of his hands as he plucked the soggy, self-rolled cigarette from his lips
And lastly, I don't think you need the comma between "lips" and "and". So the final version of this paragraph: [i]The rain prickled the back of his hand as he plucked the soggy, self-rolled cigarette from his lips and mashed it into the grass at his feet.

“Litter-bug.” But she made no move to pick it up herself.


Heehee...sorry, just had to say that this made me chuckle when I was reading it. Probably because in kindergarten the teachers all told us sternly, "Don't be a litter-bug!!!" Hee hee.

watched her as she moved slightly back and forth.


The word "slightly" seems slightly out of place here. Maybe "slowly" would work better? I guess that slightly just makes the sentence a little awkward.

She cut him off shortly, “Spoil-sport,” and opened her arms, “Dance with me.”


I don't think you need the comma after "arms" and before "Dance". It should be a period.

“We really should go,” he murmured not knowing if she even heard him.

Silence.


It's really unnecessary to say "not knowing if she even heard him", because in the next line you show us plainly that she didn't. It's kind of one of those "show, don't tell" things. We can see that she didn't hear him, so there's no need to state it.

“Do you hear that?” Her voice was soft, and low barely audible, but it rumbled against his chest.


Your comma placement is just a little off here. Move the comma between "soft" and "and", and put it between "low" and "barely". Sound better? ;)

His browse creased in thought, and as if oblivious to his confusion she continued on humming


Those dratted commas again. :D Take the comma between "thought" and "and" and stick it between "and" and "as". Also put a comma between "confusion" and "she".
And that "on" in the part "she continued on humming"? Cut that. Just another unnecessary word.

Her voice was notably strained, and anxious, “You know I love you, right?”


Don't need the comma after "strained", and make the comma after "anxious" a period.

He could only answer, “Yes I know,”


Put a comma between "Yes" and "I".

As you can see, the few grammatical problems you had in this piece came from commas. I think I've caught them all, but in the future, try reading your work aloud and plug in a comma wherever you naturally pause. Might help. :D

And that is the end of the grammar crusade. :D


Okay. So now, onto the actual story.

You do a great job of really capturing the moment here. It's like this one scene frozen in time. Even though you don't give a completely detailed description of the surroundings, I feel like I could point to that park on a map and explain what it's like in great detail. And that, my friend, is truly amazing. You didn't have to bog down your story with long-winded descriptions to set up the scene. Really great work.

I also like your characters a lot, which is cool: you didn't have to tell me their life story for me to feel like I know them. Just the way you wrote your characters was superb.

Also, the song there near the end of the piece was a nice touch. The whole ending was a nice touch. You didn't end it in some sappy, romantic way. The ending was just...satisfying. Which is what an ending should be.

Though, i'm finding the story line a bit weak at the moment, try to add something that relates to the song at the end, at the beginning.

If im right in thinking that the girl is Mercy, then perhaps address her in the dialogue as Mercy. This will make the character more realistic, if you get what i mean.


^ I have to say I disagree. I don't think the story line is weak at all, and the song was strategically placed. I don't think there really needs to be any of it in the beginning.
And I would not recommend addressing the girl as Mercy. I don't know whether that is who she is or not, but I think that fits well with the whole aura around this story. There is an air of mystery because the reader is not told everything, but they have just enough to come to their own conclusion.

Like I said, fantastic job. I really enjoyed reading this. :D




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 1940
Reviews: 29

Donate
Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:30 am
The Jesseble wrote a review...



You certainly know how to set the scene and I get the vibes of the characters which is a good start. Though, i'm finding the story line a bit weak at the moment, try to add something that relates to the song at the end, at the beginning.

If im right in thinking that the girl is Mercy, then perhaps address her in the dialogue as Mercy. This will make the character more realistic, if you get what i mean.

Appart from that, it's very beautiful




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 862
Reviews: 53

Donate
Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:50 am
Certainly Love says...



Beautiful...but try to make it a little more interesting.





“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester